The Company was incorporated on June 20, 1989 to assume the business of the Philippine Branch of GTE Directories (GTE/DC). The former is 70% owned by Filipinos and GTE/DC (Asia) Ltd. owns the remaining 30% of the capital stock. The company was formerly operating as Philippine Branch GTE Directories Corporation, a wholly owned foreign corporation, and the largest publisher of yellow pages directories in the world.
After the 1987 Philippine Constitution took effect disallowing wholly owned foreign corporations to be engaged in media, GTE Directories (Philippines) Corporation, a 70% Filipino corporation took over the operations of the Philippine Branch. The company was organized primarily to publish telephone directories for Philippine Long Distance Telehone Company in the Philippines and Pilipino Telephone Company.
The company’s name, GTE Directories (Philippines) Corporation, was eventually changed to Directories Philippines Corporation (DPC) as approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission on April 6, 1993. As of August 1993, GTE ceased to be a stockholder of DPC from which the company evolved into a wholly owned Filipino firm it is today.
Since 1989, when DPC was organized, it has emerged as the dominant market leader in the directories advertising industry in the Philippines today. It is the leading seller of Yellow Pages advertisement. As of 2009, it has officially published 28 directories covering LuzViMin areas.
DPC is also the founder and a charter member of the Asian Directory Publishers Association, Inc. (ADPAI), which is a non-profit association, composed of 20 countries in the Asian region.